Which License Should I Use?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sat Nov 26 18:21:00 EST 2005

Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Tom Anderson <twic at urchin.earth.li> wrote:
> > The logic, i think, is that the freedom of the code is the key to
> > the freedom of the end-users: applying the GPL to your code means
> > that other programmers will be forced to apply to to their code,
> > which means that users of that code will get the benefits of open
> > source.
>
> ... which implies that one believes that every end-user has the
> potential to become a hacker.

To become, or *independently engage another person as* a hacker
without necessary further contact with the copyright holder.

The same freedom you get with, e.g., any complicated machine. You can
open it up yourself, or you can persuade a third party to do so,
without the necessity to get the maker involved.

It's not necessary for every single user of such machines to become
hackers of those machines; they still all get the benefit of the
freedom for anyone they choose to hack on it.

--
 \       "I have a map of the United States; it's actual size. It says |
  `\   '1 mile equals 1 mile'... Last summer, I folded it."  -- Steven |