Proposal for adding symbols within Python

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Mon Nov 14 22:16:04 EST 2005

Steven D'Aprano <steve at removethiscyber.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:15:04 +0100, Pierre Barbier de Reuille wrote:
> > The key point that, I think, you misunderstand is that symbols are
> > not *variables* they are *values*.
>
> Python doesn't have variables. It has names and objects.

That seems to be what Pierre wants to change.

What he hasn't yet made clear is what benefit this brings, over simply
using existing basic types (with as much intrinsic meaning -- i.e.
none -- as the new object he's proposing).

--
 \     "I cannot conceive that anybody will require multiplications at |
  `\    the rate of 40,000 or even 4,000 per hour ..."  -- F. H. Wales |