Getting Python Accepted in my Organisation

Stuart Turner turnerst at family-zone.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 07:11:39 EST 2005

Hi Everyone,

I'm working hard trying to get Python 'accepted' in the organisation I work
for.  I'm making some good in-roads.  One chap sent me the text below on
his views of Python.  I wondered if anyone from the group could give me
some advice on how to respond / if they had been in a similar position.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

- Stuart

 "Python is a scripting language like Perl, awk, tcl, Java etc...  it is
not quite a fully developed OO language, but does support some OO that Perl
doesn't.  To be clear, these scripting languages have their place in our
environment, but they are not full replacements for C#, Java, C, etc...
because they do not come with the full range of libraries e.g GDI
libraries.  Python has to be compared to Perl, Awk in order to evaluate it.
Perl, until recently, did not support threading.  Why would it? it is a
scripting language and can run async shell commands.  I would be interested
to learn if Python supports a robust threading model (not just a pointer
reference to an object), as this is a significant drawback when using a
scripting language.  CGI only works because the container can thread with
Perl.  Python is object orientated, but I do not know what implementation?
Essentially any language with a pointer can claim to be OO, although Python
does market itself on OO capabilities.  Do you know what implementation
they have used?

    Lets discuss, as I am not a great fan of Perl and if Python is more
structured then it is possibly worth promoting."