Flat file, Python accessible database?

Ganesan Rajagopal rganesan at myrealbox.com
Wed Nov 2 07:40:40 EST 2005

> Karlo Lozovina wrote:
>> bkhl at stp.lingfil.uu.se (=?utf-8?Q?Bj=C3=B6rn_Lindstr=C3=B6m?=) wrote
>> in news:877jbsxnrx.fsf at lucien.dreaming:
>>
>>> If you need it to be SQL-like, SQLite seems to be the right thing.
>> Tried that one, but had some problems setting things up. On the
>> other hand, BerkeleyDB + Pybsddb worked like a charm, with no
>> setting up (under Cygwin).

> I'm very curious what problems you had.  In my experience SQLite
> requires *nothing* I'd call "setup".  You install Pysqlite or APSW,
> write your code, and it runs and works.

I imagine that's the "setup" OP is talking about. You need to install it
separately as opposed to bsddb. I wish SQLite is bundled with Python 2.5. To
the OP, you could try gadfly (http://gadfly.sourceforge.net/gadfly.html) or
KirbyBase (http://www.netpromi.com/kirbybase.html) but they are also
separate packages to install. I would personally stick with SQLite.

Ganesan

--
Ganesan Rajagopal (rganesan at debian.org) | GPG Key: 1024D/5D8C12EA
Web: http://employees.org/~rganesan        | http://rganesan.blogspot.com