newb ?

Chad Everett everettcc at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 17 19:52:48 EST 2005

Hey guys,

I am back.  Trying to expand on  a program that was given in the book I am
studying.

No I am not a high school or college student.  Doing this on my own.  and
having way to much trouble

I am trying to add a hint section to a word jumble program.

I get a traceback error that the word in the jumble is not defined.
Can anyone help?
thanks,

import random

# create a sequence of words to choose from
WORDS = ("python", "easy")
# pick one word randomly from the sequence
word = random.choice(WORDS)
# create a variable to use later to see if the guess is correct
correct = word
# create variable to use for hint if needed
# create a jumbled version of the word
jumble =""
while word:
    position = random.randrange(len(word))
    jumble += word[position]
    word = word[:position] + word[(position + 1):]

# start the game
print \
"""
           Welcome to Word Jumble!

   Unscramble the letters to make a word.
(Press the enter key at the prompt to quit.)
"""
print "The jumble is:", jumble
print "If you need a hint type 'hint' and Hit enter."

guess = raw_input("\nYour guess: ")
guess = guess.lower()
while (guess != correct) and (guess != "")and (guess != hint): ##not sure
about this either##
    print "Sorry, that's not it."
    guess = raw_input("Your guess: ")
    guess = guess.lower()

###I don"t lnow how to set up this part correct so that when they ask for
the hint it will give it to them###

while word == easy:
    if guess == hint:
        print "not hard but"
        guess = raw_input("Your guess: ")
        guess = guess.lower()

while word == python:
    if guess == hint:
        print "snake"
        guess = raw_input("Your guess: ")
        guess = guess.lower()

if guess == correct:
    print "That's it!  You guessed it!\n"

print "Thanks for playing."

raw_input("\n\nPress the enter key to exit.")