wxPython Licence vs GPL

Ed Jensen ejensen at visi.com
Fri Nov 25 22:25:58 EST 2005

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Python and *BSD are getting far less volunteer development love than,
> say, GCC or Linux, and the licensing is at least part of the reason.

I disagree.  I believe *BSD gets less volunteer development because of
some legal wrangling in the early 90s that didn't affect Linux.

I believe GCC gets more volunteer development than Python because C
and C++ were (and are) much more widely used.

> Also, numerous GCC ports done by hardware companies (for their CPU's)
> have been released under the GPL that would definitely have been
> proprietary if it had been permitted.  That is not speculation, it is
> known from discussions with those hardware companies at the time.

Even if this is true, GCC would have continued to exist.  Just because
an entity takes some open source code and places it in a closed source
product, the original open source code continues to exist.

Frankly, I suspect those hardware companies would have relented their
decision once they realized it was harder to keep re-integrating their
code into newer GCC releases, than it was to just release the code.

> G++
> (the original C++ front end for GCC) also would have been proprietary.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but since you're providing no evidence,
I'll remain skeptical about this claim.