how to modify code while debugging it without having to stop and then restart debugger

python d at d.com
Tue Nov 8 13:38:28 EST 2005

thanks for all that have replied so far.
i still find it __very__ hard to believe that i cannot edit code inside a function while debugging it.
as i mentioned even micro$soft can do this using statically type languages like visual basic and csharp.
also, both visualbasic and csharp have goto statements, which i do to not use in final code but can be real handy when
used with the ability to change debugged code on the fly while inside the function being debugged.

for example,
if i am inside a function and there is some an error on a line and that is where the debugger is currently pointing at,
i simple copy and paste the bad code line just below the actual code line.
i fix this copied code line.
then i just turn the bad line into a comment line and the debugger will move the current focus to the next time, which
is the fixed code.

how can such a dynamic language like python not be able to do this.

i have seen functions like exec that can even run dynamically generated text on the fly.

very strange..

any other ideas,

thanks so much,

dave