Text Auto-fill

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Tue Nov 8 12:19:57 EST 2005

On 7 Nov 2005 18:41:39 -0800, ChuckDubya at gmail.com <ChuckDubya at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's common in web browsers to have a text auto-fill function for
> personal information or passwords or whatnot.  The flavor that I'm
> referring to is the kind that pops up as you're typing the word, not
> the kind that fills text fields before typing has started.
>
> Well I want to know how to do that in Python.  I'm looking to edit IDLE
> so that it doesn't take me forever to code four lines.

I'm very fond of the Emacs feature called 'dabbrev-expand', which lets you
type the start of a word and cycle through all words in all open files that
starts with those letters.

Not an answer to your question, but if you're going to hack on completion
algorithms, you might as well hack on a really great one!

> Eventually, I want to create a Visual Basic-type environment for
> myself.  I'm a moron, and I need all the coding help I can get.

I suspected as much ;-)

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!