python-mysqldb__debian_to_freebsd

Cousin Stanley cs at totallybogus.com.invalid
Wed Nov 16 17:47:53 EST 2005

Greetings ....

  I'm using a commercial web host running FreeBSD
  that fortunately has Python and MySQL,
  but no  python-mysqldb  module  ....

  Before begging the host to install it
  I thought I would try the Debian version
  that I have on the outside chance
  that it  might  fly directly under FreeBSD
  on the server ....

  import MySQLdb .... leads to the ImportError message ....

      Shared object "libpthread.so.0" not found,
                     required by "_mysql.so"

  On my local Debian installation the reference
  to that particular library file is actually
  a symbolic link ....

     libpthread.so.0 -> libpthread-0.10.so

  I copied  libpthread-0.10.so  over to the server
  in a directory that is in the Python search path
  and renamed it to libpthread.so.0 ....

  I tried to make the symbolic link as above
  from Python since I don't have a shell account,
  but it failed for some reason that I don't recall
  at the moment ....

  After a bit of google-izing and a quick scan
  of the MySQL install docs, I also set
  the  LD_LIBRARY_PATH  enviroment variable
  to point to the dir where the supposed missing
  file lives ....

  Is there any at all chance that this will work
  with the proper configs or should I go ahead
  and beg the host for an installation ?

  Any clues would be greatly appreciated ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being