newbie question: 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback

Tony Gill t.gill1 at uq.edu.au
Thu Nov 17 03:17:52 EST 2005

Hi,

I've just downloaded and installed Python 2.4.2 for Windows and am having
troubling getting started.

My system is: MS Windows XP Pro SP2

When I run 'python (command line)' from the start menu the first line in the
CMD window is:

This seems to be causing other problems; for example: when I type 'import
os' at the prompt I get the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named os

Also I cannot run the IDLE (Python GUI) from the start menu either. Nothing
loads. I presume my problems all come back to the fact that import site
fails when python starts.

Any help getting me started greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony