wxPython Licence vs GPL

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Nov 24 18:59:37 EST 2005

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:
> Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:
>> On the other hand, so long as the price is lower than the cost of
>> recreating the software for someone, then it's better for society as
>> a whole if it exists at all.
> I don't think that's correct.  Having nothing can be better than
> having something, because then there's an opening to fill.  The price
> isn't even an issue: it happens even with free programs.  If someone
> needs an XYZ program and none exists, maybe they'll write a good one
> and release it.  But if a bad XYZ program already exists, they'll use
> that despite its deficiencies.  Thus we have Windows.

They'll only use a commmercial program if they can afford it (or are
willing to steal it). And if it's bad enough - in their estimation -
they won't usee it despite it's deficiencies, they'll act as if it
doesn't exist - and maybe write a good one and release it. Thus we
have Linux and the *BSDs.

     <mike