Is mod_python 3.1 good for commercial blogging/CMS?

Anthony L. anthony at ataribaby.org
Tue Nov 8 22:28:02 EST 2005

In article <4370cda4$0$28704$79c14f64 at nan-newsreader-07.noos.net>,
 Francois Lepoutre <francois.lepoutre at caramail.com> wrote:

>  > 3. I am not very attracted to PSP because I want to separate the logic
>  > from the presentation as completely as possible [...]
>
> In view of your project why not consider cherrypy as well?  It may
> be an alternative to consider.

Hi Francois, I'm getting more open to considering other frameworks. As I
mentioned earlier, I am aware that I am swimming against the current by
not simply using Apache 1 and PHP, so I wanted to avoid investing in yet
another esoteric piece of software. Thankfully, after a discussion with
some prospective hosts today, I have the freedom to consider CherryPy
and Django.

>  > manipulation, database calls, and some very minor mathematics. If the
>  > Apache 1.3 series mod works fine, can I relieve myself of some stress
>  > and go with that combo?
>
> Why not? But why not work with apache 2.x. mod_python works fine on
> this platform.

Oh, it's not that I have anything against Apache 2. My preference is to
work with mod_python 3, and that requires Apache 2, which I want. I was
just considering a less desirable pythonic option. Even among commodity
shared hosting providers I've found the presence of earlier versions of
python and mod_python.

> no FUD here. Read the mod_python carefully, run your tests and make up
> your choice. This is definitely a workable environment.
>
> Francois

Thanks Francois. I am going to stick with Python for this. As it turns
out, I'll have the freedom to use the software configuration I want, so
now I don't have to worry about committing to Python, only discover that
my Python code is useable only as a prototype for PHP or Perl. :)

Anthony