PEP submission broken?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Nov 2 21:27:00 EST 2005

Bryan Olson wrote:
> Though I tried to submit a (pre-) PEP in the proper form through the proper
> channels, it has disappeared into the ether.
>

> In building a class that supports Python's slicing interface,
>
>    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/8f35464483aa7d7b
>
> I encountered a Python bug, which, upon further discussion, seemed to be
> a combination of a wart and a documentation error.
>

> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/402d770b6f503c27
>
> I submitted the bug report via SourceForge; the resolution was to document
> the actual behavior.  Next I worked out what behavior I think would
> eliminate
> the wart, wrote it up as a pre-PEP, and sent it peps at python.org on 27 Aug of
> this year.
>
> I promptly received an automated response from Barry Warsaw, saying, in
> part,
> "I get so much email that I can't promise a personal response."  I
> gathered that
> he is a PEP editor. I did not infer from his reply that PEP's are simply
> ignored, but
> this automated reply was the only response I ever received. I subscribed
> to the
> Python-dev list, and watched, and waited; nothing on my concern appeared.
>

> One response on the comp.lang.python newsgroup noted that a popular
> extention module would have difficulty maintaining consistency with my
> proposed PEP.  My proposal does not break how the extension currently
> works, but still, that's a valid point. There are variations which do
> not have
> that problem, and I think I can see a  course that will serve the entire
> Python community. From what I can tell, We need to address fixing the
> PEP process before there is any point in working on PEP's,

It would seem that your PEP has failed to grab the attention of the
developers. Since August there have been quite a few PEP changes. What
response are you expecting from the PEP editor?

In this case I would suggest you might email Barry to see whether he has
taken any action on the pre-PEP, or that a post to python-dev simply
inquiring whether anyone has read the pre-PEP might be appropriate.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, treat this situation as
accidental rather than deliberate. Two months is a long time to wait, so
maybe you should have asked about this rather sooner. Volunteers don't
always behave as perfect bureaucrats :-)

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119