Python as Guido Intended

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Nov 23 19:56:45 EST 2005

In article <1132791525.595643.4710 at g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Different programming styles are appropriate for different tasks,
>different times and different places, different people.  And like
>morality, government, or economics, I do not believe that one style of
>programming fits all situations.  But I do not think (and reading c.l.p
>convinces me) that GvR and Python's developers know a coding style that
>works best in all situations.  I do think that the Python development
>community believes they do, or more accurately, that if someone wants
>to use a different style, they can go use something else.The sense I
>have with Python is a little like I have seen in certain religious or
>very ideological political groups -- "our way is the one true way".  I
>just can't buy that.

Your third-to-last sentence is correct, but your second-to-last sentence
is not.  The reason Python people say to use something else is precisely
because we don't believe that one-size-fits-all.  Some people use other
languages in addition to Python, and some people don't use Python at all.

until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair