Windows vs Linux [was: p2exe using wine/cxoffice]

Giovanni Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 09:05:31 EDT 2005

Tim Golden ha scritto:

> As it happens, (and I suspect I'll have to don my flameproof suit here),
> I prefer the Windows command line to bash/readline for day-to-day use,
> including in Python. Why? Because it does what I can't for the life of
> me get readline to do: you can type the first few letters of a
> previously-entered command and press F8. This brings up (going backwards
>
> with further presses) the last command which starts like that. And
> *then*

Argh!! ;)
How about reading a simple tutorial on bash?
You can use even '!' to recall other commands in history.
For example, you can type '!p<Enter>' and it will call the last command
starting with 'p', without having to search for it (and if you want,
you can use CTRL+r)
You can use '!!' to recall the last command, or '!-#' for the other
ones. You can define single arguments, like !-#:2, to call only parts
of a old command.
With bash, you can repeat instructions (using 'for', 'while', and so
on) and use some basic logic to determine if launching them. You can
call easily any program installed in the computer, or in other ones,
too.
Really, are you joking? ;) Do you know that you can use the '<Tab>' key
to auto-fill a command? isn't this useful? I tried to use the windows
command line sometimes, but I found it so slow and uncorfortable, that
I thought that noone can use it. I really don't understand what you
want to say with this topic!

p.s. if you want a tip, leave using desktop manager and begin using the
command line. You will like it.