Newbie help

John Irby popo01 at msn.com
Sat Oct 15 22:25:43 EDT 2005

Francis Girard:

Here is the code you are looking for if I read you right:

# Michael Dawson - 1/8/03

import random
print "\tWelcome to 'Guess My Number'!"
print "\nI'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10."
# I have randrange set to 10 for debugging. 3 is even faster.
print "Try to guess it in under three attempts.\n"
# set the initial values
counter = 1   #     I had to set counter to = 1 for this to work right.
the_number = random.randrange(10) + 1         # but it is bug free.
guess = int(raw_input("Take a guess: "))
# guessing loop
while (guess != the_number):
    if counter >= 3:   # this statement had to go up top
        print 'Game over! Your 3 tries are up.'
        break         # OKAY! Using break after "game over" is perfect!
    elif (guess > the_number):
        print "Lower..."
    else:
        print "Higher..."
    counter += 1
    guess = int(raw_input("Take a guess: "))

else:
    print "You guessed it!  The number was", the_number

    if counter >=2:
        print "And it only took you", counter, "tries!\n"
    else:
        print "and it only took you 1 try!\n"  # check this out!

# this solution sure took me long enough! What I can't help you with
# is how great it would make you feel to do it yourself.
# a fellow newbie.