Using Python to add thumbnails to Explorer

c d saunter christopher.saunter at durham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 26 16:59:15 EDT 2005

Hi Roger,
        Thanks for the info - I was actually interested in custom
per file thumbnails rather than icons, but your message sentt me
pouring through seemingly relevent parts of the registry - however
what I need isn't there.

Turns out I need to use a .dll shell extension as per
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/
shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_int/shell_int_extending/
extensionhandlers/shell_ext.asp

Not so simple, and not (directly) a job for Python.

Thanks,
        Chris
Roger Upole (rupole at hotmail.com) wrote:
: As you guessed, the icon locations are stored in the registry.
: There's a key under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for each
: registered file type, with a default value holding the class name.
: Under the class name, there's a DefaultIcon key that gives
: the path to the icon.  Using python files an an example, you
: have HKCR\.py with Default=Python.File, and under
: HKCR\Python.File\DefaultIcon, you should have the
: path to py.ico.  You can use the _winreg module to create
: your own entries.

:      hth
:         Roger