Jargons of Info Tech industry

Tue Oct 11 18:24:51 EDT 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:27:30 +0000, axel wrote:

> I don't know how much spam other people receive but on one account I
> hardly receive any as I reserve it for friends and business. On another
> I had about 40 spam messages which took all of ten seconds to delete.
> Hardly a serious matter.

Can I remind you that spam is approximately 70% of all email traffic these
days? Most of that is blocked by the ISPs, but even so you are obviously
one of the lucky few.

My home address, which I cunningly will not give you, used to get about
fifty spams a day until I changed ISPs and email addresses. That would
quadruple for a week or so whenever one of my Windows-using friends would
get infected by a virus. My current home address only gets about one a
month, which is what I consider acceptable.

My work email address, on the other hand, is another story. We run a two
layer defence: blocking blacklisted addresses at our mail server, and spam
assassin at the individual user level. Even with that, I get about 100
spams a day delivered into my inbox, although many of those are addressed
to generic email addresses which are automatically forwarded to me.

Four years ago, one of our sys admins accidentally turned off the
blacklisting at the mail server. In the ten minutes it took to get it
turned back on, the CEO of our company received eight hundred spams.

--
Steven.