When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "British accent"...

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Oct 8 00:28:18 CEST 2005

On 2005-10-07, Jack Diederich <jack at performancedrivers.com> wrote:

> "What word(s) do you use to address a group of two or more people?"
> http://cfprod01.imt.uwm.edu/Dept/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_50.html
> A map from a US dialect survey.  Click around for many more questions.

Cool.  While we're on the topic, has anybody else noticed that
"guys" is acceptible and commonly used to refer to a group of
women, but the singular "guy" is never used to refer to a
single woman (and most of the women I've asked think that "gal"
or "gals" is insulting).  Likewise, "dude" is often used when
addressing a female but almost never when speaking about one in
the third person.

> The question was a bit broken, it did not list "all y'all" and its
> most glaring omission was "yous guys"  The Philly responders selected
> the next best option of "yous"
> It is a bit odd that You'uns, yins, and yous are confined to Pennsylvania
> and very distinct east-west regions inside PA at that (Pittsburgh vs
> Philly orbits).

Eastern and Western Pennsylvania are practically different
countries when it comes to language and culture.

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... The waitress's
                                  at               UNIFORM sheds TARTAR SAUCE
                               visi.com            like an 8" by 10" GLOSSY...

More information about the Python-list mailing list