Adding a __filename__ predefined attribute to 2.5?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Oct 12 03:21:32 EDT 2005

Rune Strand wrote:
> Is it an idea to include a new __filename__ predefined attribute to
> 2.5, so that __file__ contains the entire path to the module, and
> __filename__ only the name of the module?
>
> For instance it's useful to include a not-static reference to the
> filename in a scripts usage() section and it's cumbersome to extract
> the filename or to do module imports just to parse it.

No. It's not usually a good idea to remove complexity from your program
by adding it (where most of the time it's not needed) to the underlying
system. Here's a clue as to how you might do without __file__ altogether:

sholden at bigboy ~/Projects/Python
$ cat test78.py
import sys
print sys.argv

sholden at bigboy ~/Projects/Python
$ python test78.py can we say live with it?
['test78.py', 'can', 'we', 'say', 'live', 'with', 'it?']

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119