[Info] PEP 308 accepted - new conditional expressions

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Sat Oct 1 11:21:03 EDT 2005

Reinhold Birkenfeld wrote:

> Ron Adam

>>I think I'm going to make it a habit to put parentheses around these
>>things just as if they were required.

> Yes, that's the best way to make it readable and understandable.
>
> Reinhold

Now that the syntax is settled, I wonder if further discussion on the
contextual behavior could be done?  Or maybe it was already done off
line or in private email?

To me the advantage of a if b else c form is the easy chaining to build
up a sum of conditional parts, where each next part is dependent on the
previous result.

The advantage of the nested form, is it can be used in place of an
if-elif-else structure.  But I think the (a if b else c) syntax doesn't
match that behavior very well so I was expecting the default behavior to
be the sequential chaining and not nested evaluation.

But of course, by explicitly placing parentheses, you can do either.
<Shrug>

Cheers,
Ron