[Info] PEP 308 accepted - new conditional expressions

Michael ms at cerenity.org
Sun Oct 2 21:31:29 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:

> I'm not
> sure what Guido saw in the "A if C else B" syntax but it's not a big deal.

Maybe Guido's done some perl programming on the side? When I've been doing
perl programming I've quite liked the .... if (...); construct, however, on
occasion it's been desirable to have an else there. By having an else there
it means you don't need the ?: syntax and can just have one syntax.

On the flipside, people with different mother tongues often have a different
way of using language. (eg lots of non-native english speakers speaking
better english than those with english as their mother tongue :-) And
sometimes that different way can be better ?

Direct translation of german grammatical form for example - resulting in
something looking like yoda speak... Personally I like this form :)

Regards,

Michael.