Reply-To header

Mike Meyer mwm at
Mon Oct 3 23:17:15 CEST 2005

Roel Schroeven <rschroev_nospam_ml at> writes:
> Peter Decker wrote:
>> Setting the default Reply-To: to the list means that 'Reply' sends
>> just to the list (the desired behavior most of the time), and 'Reply
>> to all' sends 2 copies.
> The thing is: Reply-to has legitimate uses. I don't really understand
> the use cases (AFAICS all of them could be done with Form: instead)

Yes, they can all be done with From:. But From: has uses other than
just listing the reply address, and if you hijack From: to replace
reply-to (because other people have hijacked Reply-To: for purposes
for which it wasn't intended :-), then you can't use From: for what
*it* was intended for.

I send out mail - well, mail gets sent out for me - every day that
uses both the From: and Reply-To: fields. The mail is *from* me, and
that's what the from header says. The reply needs to go to a magic
maildrop that takes action based on the reply address. The recipient
doesn't need to see the reply address, and would only be confused by
it if they did.

Mike Meyer <mwm at>