The missing ingredient?

eric.pederson at gmail.com eric.pederson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 01:06:32 EDT 2005

Python is a great programming language, and it seems there was a sense
of fun in developing it -- as far as I can ascertain, it wasn't exactly
brought to life to comply with Government tax regulations; or to assist
a consigliere with covering up ghastly mob crimes ala "Godfather".

Though there is some guy named Guido involved... [and not neccesarily
Father Guido Sarducci...]

Is Python still as fun to develop (develop, not develop in)?  Can the
pioneers weigh in on this?

"Fun" is held by many to be the (or one of the) most creative,
inventive, and productive frames of mind.

For example I suspect, despite all the varied things they may be
exposed to, very few patents are filed by IRS agents; unless, perhaps,
they get ideas while unwinding late at night watching Monty Python
reruns (which activity may be career limiting in Government service!)

Is developing the next iteration/step-forward in Python still as fun as
the old days?  Is it fun?

What can we do to keep Python (development of and development in) as
fun as possible?

[this post triggered by reading this article on "-Ofun" here:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7996]

EP