Python Newbie

James fphsml at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 17:06:48 EDT 2005

1. What toolkit is best for Windows development?
"Best" depends on your needs. wxPython seems to be the most popular
one.

2. Which toolkits can I exclude from consideration?

You haven't given enough exclusion criteria. But here are the possible
issues to consider.

Fox - Hasn't been updated with a binary release since the release for
Python 2.2.
OpenGL - not a toolkit for everyday windowing needs. But I don't know
what you have in mind.
FLTK - Light Weight but doesn't have a good "MS Windows" feel.
pyQt - Be sure you check if the licensing bothers you.

3. What toolkit is most popular for Windows development?
wxPython seems to be the most popular one for Python, not just on "MS
Windows". I think it has more apps written with, than any other, and
the toolkit has active support for MS Windows specific technologies.

4. Are there any impartial reviews of these packages anywhere?
http://www.python.org/doc/faq/gui.html. Google for others.

I personally prefer not to do Windows GUI development in Python. I
prefer to use mainstream GUI dev tools for windows (Delphi, Visual
Studio) and pull in Python as embedded or as COM. But that's just "my"
preference. A lot of people here do it all in Python happily.