When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "British accent"...

Jack Diederich jack at performancedrivers.com
Fri Oct 7 23:51:14 CEST 2005

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 09:14:51PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2005-10-07, Terry Hancock <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> wrote:
> > Of course, just to keep y'all on your toes, we Texans have not only
> > construed "their" to singular, but also "you", and added a new
> > plural "y'all".
> AFAICT, in many parts of "The South", y'all is now used in the
> singular (e.g. "y'all" is used when addressing a single
> person), and "all y'all" is the plural form used when
> addressing a group of people collectively.
"What word(s) do you use to address a group of two or more people?"
A map from a US dialect survey.  Click around for many more questions.

The question was a bit broken, it did not list "all y'all" and its
most glaring omission was "yous guys"  The Philly responders selected
the next best option of "yous"

It is a bit odd that You'uns, yins, and yous are confined to Pennsylvania
and very distinct east-west regions inside PA at that (Pittsburgh vs
Philly orbits).


More information about the Python-list mailing list