parsing a date

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Sep 24 18:03:50 EDT 2005

Kalle Anke wrote:
> Better (in this case) =
>
>   + Being "pythonic"
>
>   + Avoiding going through a second representation (the tuple)
>     if there is some way to create a date object directly.

I think the plainest and simplest approach would be to create a
well-named function which does the necessary steps (_not_ in a single
line of code but with nice readable temporary variables) and call that
whenever you need it.

Simple utility functions that call a few standard library functions to
do a job like this are very "pythonic", and trying to avoid a second
representation when (as in this case) there's no obvious way to do it is
not pythonic. :-)

I'd say if you've checked datetime.date() and not found a factory
function or whatever which knows how to parse a string (as many of us
have), and if you don't want to download, install, and depend on a
third-party extension such as mxDateTime which do this already, then a
function to wrap the ugly details is a very nice way to proceed.

If you need to do this often, then you've got the beginnings of your own
utility module or package, and having those around is pretty "pythonic" too.

(An alternative would be to contribute a patch to add something like
this to the datetime module.  I don't know if it would be accepted, but
at least it would be the true arbiters of "pythonicism" who would be
judging the matter, not you or I. :-) )

-Peter