dual processor

Jeremy Jones zanesdad at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 4 16:43:20 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:

>Jeremy Jones <zanesdad at bellsouth.net> writes:
>

>>to pass data around between processes.  Or an idea I've been tinkering
>>with lately is to use a BSD DB between processes as a queue just like
>>Queue.Queue in the standard library does between threads.  Or you
>>could use Pyro between processes.  Or CORBA.
>>

>I think that doesn't count as using a the multiple processors; it's
>just multiple programs that could be on separate boxes.
>Multiprocessing means shared memory.

I disagree.  My (very general) recommendation implies multiple
processes, very likely multiple instances (on the consumer side) of the
same "program".  The OP wanted to know how to get Python to "take
advantage of the dual processors."  My recommendation does that.  Not in
the sense of a single process fully exercising multiple CPUs, but it's
an option, nonetheless.  So, in that respect, your initial "no" was
correct.  But,

>This module might be of interest:  http://poshmodule.sf.net

Yeah - that came to mind.  Never used it.  I need to take a peek at
that.  This module keeps popping up in discussions like this one.

JMJ