Well, Python is hard to learn...

Alessandro Bottoni alessandro.bottoni at infinito.it
Thu Sep 1 04:57:26 EDT 2005

wen wrote:

> due to the work reason, i have to learn python since last month. i have
> spent 1 week on learning python tutorial and felt good. but i still don't
> understand most part of sourcecode of PYMOL(http://pymol.sourceforge.net/)
> as before.
>
> it sucks.

No, please, don't say that. It is _not_ Python's fault.

PyMol is a _large_ and _complex_ piece of software. I would be happy to
understand a _very small_ part of its source code after having studied
Python for just a week or so.

Python is one of the easiest programming language around but it cannot make
simple a complex task like molecular design or molecular dynamic (I'm a
chemist and I can understand your disappointment).

You will have to wait _months_ before being able to understand such a
complex piece of software well enough to be able to play with its source
code. But... do you really need to play with the source code of this
program? Do you really have to tweak its code to fit your needs? Could not
be enough to write some plug-in, some wrapper or some other kind of
"external" program? This would be much easier.

HTH