What XML lib to use?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Sep 14 10:30:45 EDT 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> since there are no *sane* reasons to use SAX or DOM in Python, that's mainly
> a job security issue...

While I doubt that anyone would really recommend exclusive DOM API
usage for significant XML processing tasks (or for anything other than
educational purposes), I think you're overstating some case or other
here. Interoperability is a pretty sane argument for using DOM-based
technologies, whether that be skills interoperability (possibly related
to job security) or just using many different technologies together.
For example, PyQt and PyKDE expose various DOMs of the purest
"non-Pythonic" kind; Mozilla exposes DOMs for XML and HTML; adding a
layer of PyXML varnish to any of these isn't a huge job. Using
different technologies with the same foundations shouldn't have to
involve breaking open yet another API for the "fun" of it.

Paul