Getting tired with py2exe

Giovanni Bajo noway at sorry.com
Tue Sep 20 19:53:58 EDT 2005

Simon John wrote:

> And if they want to use UPX, well that's up to them, but I've had some
> problems with it and don't particularly like the thought of runtime
> decompression and the two process thing.

UPX compression is totally optional, and it is even disabled by default. For
the log, I have been using UPX for many, many years and never had a problem
whatsoever, but surely there had been bugs.

Nonetheless, if you are so worried about it, I wonder how you can feel
comfortable with py2exe loading up DLLs with his own version of LoadLibrary. It
looks like potentially much more dangerous to me. Or maybe you never build
single-file distributions and you go with single-dir distributions... in which
case there is no "two process" thing.

> And when you can compress the
> distributable using 7zip or whatever, why bother keeping it compressed
> once downloaded?

Some people like the idea of "absolutely no installation process needed".
--
Giovanni Bajo