Manging multiple Python installation

Andy Leszczynski leszczynscyATnospam.yahoo.com.nospam
Thu Sep 8 04:28:23 CEST 2005

Robert Kern wrote:
> Andy Leszczynski wrote:
>
>>Jeremy Jones wrote:
>>

>>>Andy Leszczynski wrote:
>>>
>>>Download the source, untar, cd to the new directory, run:
>>>
>>>./configure --prefix=/opt/mypython
>>>make
>>>make install
>>
>>Is there any way to pass the prefix to the "make install"?
> Is passing it to the configure script a problem?

not really but seems to be a bit illogical to me that the build (set of
executables and libraries) depends on the destination installation path.

Under M$ Windows I was able to install Python in let's say C:\Program
Files\python and then move/copy it frelly to whatever location I need.
Only thing was the resetting PATH to the new location. I miss that under
Linux.

A.