Kross - Start of a Unified Scripting Approach

has has.temp2 at virgin.net
Fri Apr 14 14:20:10 EDT 2006

Cool. I hope I got the bits about Kross right; I only just found out
about it from seeing your post so haven't been long learning about it
(I'm a sucker for this stuff). Hopefully some nice expert can correct
anything I may've got wrong. :)

BTW, if you're curious about how Python hooks into this stuff on the
Mac, check out the appscript bridge
<http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/appscript.html>
(shameless self-link) and PythonOSA language component
<http://homepage.mac.com/philip_aker/osa/osa.html>.

Appscript uses a lot of syntactic sugar to put a nice easy-to-use
syntax (which looks like OO but isn't) on top of the underlying
RPC+query mechanism; the underlying aem package gives a better idea of
how things actually work. If you don't have a Mac to play with, you
might still find the appscript and aem documentation in the source
distribution
<http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/appscript_source.html>
worth reading.

The PythonOSA component provides basic OSA support
(compile/load/store/execute), allowing you to edit and run Python
scripts in Script Editor and other OSA editors and trigger them from
OSA-based application script menus and so on. There is a more advanced
but unfinished MacPythonOSA component on my site that can do message
sending and receiving as well, but it needs a bit of poking to get it
built and working at all. And I've also got an unfinished osawrapper
module that allows you to load and use OSA languages in Python.

HTH