MinGW and Python

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Apr 28 12:19:41 EDT 2006

Ames Andreas wrote:
> There remains one technical issue that isn't a killer but would
> be inconvenient, IMHO:  Can pywin32 be made working with a
> mingw-python (I'm quite sure it can't be made building on it)?
> I'd appreciate any datapoints about that ...

It all depends on what CRT version you link Python with. If you
use mingw32 to link Python with msvcr71.dll, nothing would change
for pywin32 compared to Python 2.4. OTOH, nothing would change
for anybody else, either.

If you link Python with msvcrt.dll, you would need to build
pywin32 with a version of MFC that also links with msvcrt.dll.
I understand VC6 would work; not sure whether pywin32 can still
be built with VC6. In any case, requiring an even older version
of the MS compiler isn't such a tempting idea, either.

Regards,
Martin