mini component distribution question

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Wed Apr 19 18:52:38 EDT 2006

Ben Finney wrote:
> "Eric S. Johansson" <esj at harvee.org> writes:
>
>> as one would expect when creating a body of software, eventually you
>> create a series of relatively generic components you find yourself using
>> over and over again.  As a result, I'm finding myself slightly bit by
>> the same problem I have faced multiple times of the past.  Namely, how
>> do you distribute "small" components that are used in a series of larger
>> applications.
>
> The developing wisdom is to:
>
>   - bundle up reusable discrete functional components as Python eggs

okay.  Sounds like it's worth the effort of learning.

>   - publish them on the Cheeseshop
>
>     <URL:http://cheeseshop.python.org/>

unless I'm missing something, cheese shop seems to be cursed by flat
namespace.  also, can one run one's own cheese shop and will the
gather/installer tool work with multiple cheese shops?

>   - use easy_install to automatically download and install them when
>     the main package is installed

This implies the need for two different methods of program propagation.
  First from the cheese shop, second from your source code sandbox as
you are debugging etc.

I really need to find a decent way of placing individual components
under source code control.  I can barely cope with 3 darcs or cvs
repositories gathered into one application, I'm not looking forward to
more. :-)

--- eric