string building

Mon Apr 3 10:10:29 EDT 2006

Out of curiosity, is there any kind of equivalent in Python to the
StringBuilder class in C#? Here's a quick description from the .NET
documentation:

"This class represents a string-like object whose value is a mutable
sequence of characters. The value is said to be mutable because it can
be modified once it has been created by appending, removing, replacing,
or inserting characters."

It's used for dealing with large strings that otherwise would cause
performance problems if used as regular string objects. I'm just
wondering if Python has something like this, or if it is even really
necessary. I know there is even some discussion on when exactly
StringBuilder becomes useful over regular strings, but I imagine at some
point it is good to use.