32-bit python on Opteron, Solaris 10?

Gary Robinson grobinson at goombah.com
Thu Apr 6 12:51:59 EDT 2006

I'm in the market for a server to run some python code which is
optimized via psyco.

Sun T2100 servers come with Solaris 10, which comes with python
pre-installed.

Since those servers use the 64-bit Opteron box, I would assume that the
Python is a 64-bit version. (Does anyone know whether this is
true/false?)

The Psyco documentation says that for psyco to work, Python needs to be
compiled in "32-bit compatibility mode". I've never compiled Python, or
tried having multiple versions running on Solaris. I looked at the
README for the Python source and didn't see anything about "32-bit
compatibility mode", though I may have missed it. Or is it a matter of
choosing a 32 bit compiler to compile against? Any info would be
appreciated.

Finally, I'm wondering if anyone could give any feedback about
problems/roadblocks in compiling Python in "32-bit compatibility mode"
and running it alongside the pre-installed Python that comes with
Solaris 10.

Any input or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary
--

Gary Robinson