Using a browser as a GUI: which Python package

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Fri Apr 28 20:47:43 EDT 2006

"André" <andre.roberge at gmail.com> wrote:

> John Bokma wrote:

>> Also note that if your result takes some time you need to send dummy
>> headers every now and then to keep the connection alive. And even
>> then there might be problems with time outs.
>
> I don't see why I would have problems with timeouts.  As I mentioned
> (briefly) I want to use this on a single machine i.e. no communication
> over the web.

You use Python for the webserver as well? Then there might be no problem.
But otherwise, Apache has a max time a script is allowed to run before
it's killed. Of course you can increase that time.

As for the dummy headers, AFAIK still needed, otherwise the browser might
give up.

>  Something like htconsole
> (http://blog.ianbicking.org/introducing-htconsole.html).  I could use
> htconsole and the packages it uses as a starting point, but I would
> feel that it would be like choosing to use Tkinter for graphics after
> seeing a single GUI based app.  Before I invest some time in this, I'd
> like to have an idea of what the options are.

I am quite new to Python, but have some idea of the other things you
probably require :-)

--
John                               MexIT: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/
                           personal page:       http://johnbokma.com/