Looking for resources for making the jump from Java to Python easier and more productive

Sat Apr 22 05:12:59 EDT 2006

In article <1145691651.385835.298600 at u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>,
 "ToddLMorgan" <ToddLMorgan at gmail.com> wrote:

>Are there python specific equivalents to the common Patterns,
>Anti-Patterns and Refactoring books that are so prevalent as
>reccomended reading in C++ and Java?

I don't think they exist. Such books are targeted more towards
development in a corporate environment, where every proposal has to go
through multiple layers of management, and nothing is ever done by
individuals working alone, always by "teams" working on separate parts
of the project. And also where the end-users don't really get much say
in how things are supposed to work. It's only in such a high-overhead,
top-down, cover-your-ass environment that such books are looked on as
being at all useful. Possibly on the grounds that nobody ever got fired
for buying them.

I'd say languages like Python and Perl are the absolute antithesis of
this sort of development culture.