calculating system clock resolution

jUrner at arcor.de jUrner at arcor.de
Sat Apr 8 12:10:27 EDT 2006

Starts getting confusing...

on linux I get
print time.time()
>> xxx.23

Is it mentioned somewhere that print truncates floats ?
Thats new to me. Kinda surprising that is.

print '%.30' % time.time()
>> xxx.23456678990...
I knew it must have been hiding somewhere

On windows I'd expect a resolution of round around 15ms. Thats why I
fell for the trap assuming linux is operating on about the same.
Anyway.
As far as I can see there is no nice way except for the brute force
loop
to calculate this resolution. This was giving me head sratches and
thats
why the loop in the initial post was so shamelessly empty. I was
thinking
about the poor dudes running an os with a resolution of about 1 second.
I was hoping for s.o. releasing an ace from his sleeve. Well, there
seems
to be no way to know except knowing.

Or like Sege Orlov put it
>> I think the number of samples to take depends on resolution ;-)

Crappy oses that is. Time for them to get standardized.