Looking for resources for making the jump from Java to Python easier and more productive

Mon Apr 24 22:48:49 EDT 2006

In article <1145915783.444709.38420 at y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
 "Mike Orr" <sluggoster at gmail.com> wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> "ToddLMorgan" <ToddLMor... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Are there python specific equivalents to the common Patterns,
>> >Anti-Patterns and Refactoring books that are so prevalent as
>> >reccomended reading in C++ and Java?
>
>> I don't think they exist. Such books are targeted more towards
>> development in a corporate environment, where every proposal has to go
>> through multiple layers of management, and nothing is ever done by
>> individuals working alone, always by "teams" working on separate parts
>> of the project
>
>Hey, patterns are important.  They keep people from reinventing the
>wheel and banging their head against the wall.

If you have to write more than one piece of code from the same
"pattern", then that _is_ "reinventing the wheel and banging their head
against the wall."

The correct way to avoid reinventing the wheel is to reuse code.

    For example, in the OO world you hear a good deal about "patterns".
    I wonder if these patterns are not sometimes evidence of ...
    the human compiler, at work. When I see patterns in my programs, I
    consider it a sign of trouble. The shape of a program should reflect
    only the problem it needs to solve. Any other regularity in the code
    is a sign, to me at least, that I'm using abstractions that aren't
    powerful enough....

        -- Paul Graham <http://www.paulgraham.com/icad.html>