updated pre-PEP: The create statement

Azolex cretin at des.alpes.ch
Mon Apr 10 13:56:38 EDT 2006

Steven Bethard wrote:
> I've updated the PEP based on a number of comments on comp.lang.python.
> The most updated versions are still at:
>
>     http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~bethard/py/pep_create_statement.txt
>     http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~bethard/py/pep_create_statement.html
>
> In this post, I'm especially soliciting review of Carl Banks's point
> (now discussed under Open Issues) which asks if it would be better to
> have the create statement translated into:

> instead of the current:

> The former allows the create statement to be applied to a wider variety
> of callables; the latter keeps a better parallel with the class statement.

> and named, nested hierarchies like XML documents could be created
> like::
>
>     create ETobject html:
>         "This statement would generate an ElementTree object"
>
>         create ETobject head:
>             "generate the head"
>
>         create ETobject body:
>             "generate the body"

I think this is is a most important eventual use-case, and would like to
see it better worked out - or else declared outside the scope of the
proposed statement. As far as I can see, this does not cut it, since xml
and html allow /sequencial repetition/ of tags and the results of the
statement suites are passed as unordered namespaces/dicts.

Cheers, az.