Calling Python from Matlab

Sébastien Boisgérault Sebastien.Boisgerault at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 17:34:36 EDT 2006

> Also, can you elaborate on what (if anything) it is about Matlab that
> you feel you can't replicate in Python? Are you aware of matplotlib and
> numpy?

The features provided by some matlab 'toolboxes' (libraries in
matlab-speak)
are lacking, and are beyond what numpy + scipy may provide. Some
projects
done in Matlab could easily be translated to Python, but probably not
the control
engineering kind for example -- the algorithms provided by the control
toolbox,
the identification toolbox, etc. are standard tools in the field, and
were
implemented by domain experts.

Don't get me wrong. There are A LOT of scientific projects that can be
done
with Python, and I'd rather cut my hand than do some Matlab programming
when I can avoid it.

I also believe that the work involved in the proper installation of
numpy +
scipy + matplotlib is far beyond the average Matlab user ability (check
the
amount of "installation problem" on the numpy mailing-list ...). But
for sure,
the work done in these libs is just great and their community is
extremely
reactive and helpful.

Last thought: the "All Python behavior in the presence of infinities,
NaNs, and
signed zeroes is a platform-dependent accident" meme still worries me
from
time to time ... But, hey, that's probably just me :)

Cheers,

S.B.