Twisted and wxPython integration problems

Chris Sugden cesugden at fastmail.co.uk
Wed Apr 26 10:40:11 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm a university student creating a python Chat server and client using
twisted. The server works great. However I'm trying to create the client
with a gui using wxpython and twisted. The code for the client is attached
bellow. I'm working with a partner and he already tried posting our problem
on comp.lang.python but we didn't receive a successful reply so I thought I
would try the mailing list. Here's the problem:

I can get my client to connect to my server, but can't get it to disconnect
or send messages to the server.
I am getting the following error when I click on the 'Disconnect' button -
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'loseConnection'

I have attached the code for the client below this.

We are both fairly new to Python so would appreciate any help anyone can
offer.

Thanks,

Chris & Peter

client.py
----------
from wxPython.wx import *
import wx
from twisted.internet import wxreactor
wxreactor.install()
from twisted.internet import reactor
from twisted.internet.protocol import Protocol, ClientCreator

class imApp(wxApp, Protocol):

    def buildMe(self):
        frame = wx.Frame(None, title="IM Client", size=(800, 550))

        bkg = wx.Panel(frame)

        global ipAdd
        global portNo
        global messages
        global newMsg

        ipAddLab = wx.StaticText(bkg, -1, 'IP Address: ')
        ipAdd = wx.TextCtrl(bkg)
        ipAdd.SetToolTipString('Please enter the server IP address
here.')
        spacer1 = wx.StaticText(bkg, -1, '                  ')
        portNoLab = wx.StaticText(bkg, -1, 'Port No: ')
        portNo = wx.TextCtrl(bkg)
        portNo.SetToolTipString('Please enter the port number the
server is using here.')
        spacer2 = wx.StaticText(bkg, -1, '                  ')
        connectButton = wx.Button(bkg, label='Connect')
        connectButton.SetToolTipString('Click this button to connect to
the server.')
        connectButton.Bind(wx.EVT_BUTTON, self.connectMe)
        disconnectButton = wx.Button(bkg, label='Disconnect')
        disconnectButton.SetToolTipString('Click this button to
disconnect from the server.')
        disconnectButton.Bind(wx.EVT_BUTTON, self.disconnectMe)
        messages = wx.TextCtrl(bkg, style=(wx.TE_MULTILINE |
wx.HSCROLL))
        newMsg = wx.TextCtrl(bkg)
        sendButton = wx.Button(bkg, label='Send')
        sendButton.SetToolTipString('Click this button to send a
message to the server.')
        sendButton.Bind(wx.EVT_BUTTON, self.sendMe)

        hbox1 = wx.BoxSizer()

        hbox1.Add(ipAddLab, proportion=0, flag=wx.EXPAND)
        hbox1.Add(ipAdd, proportion=0, flag=wx.EXPAND)
        hbox1.Add(spacer1, proportion=0, flag=wx.EXPAND)
        hbox1.Add(portNoLab, proportion=0, flag=wx.EXPAND)
        hbox1.Add(portNo, proportion=0, flag=wx.EXPAND)
        hbox1.Add(spacer2, proportion=0, flag=wx.EXPAND)
        hbox1.Add(connectButton, proportion=0, flag=wx.LEFT, border=5)
        hbox1.Add(disconnectButton, proportion=0, flag=wx.LEFT,
border=5)

        hbox2 = wx.BoxSizer()
        hbox2.Add(newMsg, proportion=1, flag=wx.EXPAND | wx.LEFT |
wx.LEFT | wx.LEFT, border=5)
        hbox2.Add(sendButton, proportion=0, flag=wx.LEFT, border=5)

        vbox = wx.BoxSizer(wx.VERTICAL)
        vbox.Add(hbox1, proportion=0, flag=wx.EXPAND | wx.ALL,
border=5)
        vbox.Add(messages, proportion=1, flag=wx.EXPAND | wx.LEFT |
wx.LEFT | wx.LEFT, border=5)
        vbox.Add(hbox2, proportion=1, flag=wx.EXPAND | wx.ALL,
border=5)

        bkg.SetSizer(vbox)

        ipAdd.WriteText('localhost')
        portNo.WriteText('1234')
        frame.Show(true)
        return true

    def sendMe(self, e):
        msg = newMsg.GetValue() + '\n'
        messages.WriteText(msg)
        newMsg.SetValue('')

    def disconnectMe(self, e):
        messages.WriteText('Disconnecting from server...\n')
        self.transport.loseConnection()

    def connectMe(self, e):
        messages.WriteText('Connecting to server...\n')
        c = ClientCreator(reactor, imApp)
        ip = str(ipAdd.GetValue())
        port = int(portNo.GetValue())
        c.connectTCP(ip, port)