Java Developer Exploring Python

redefined.horizons at gmail.com redefined.horizons at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 16:32:05 EDT 2006

Ravi Teja wrote:
> >> I've traditionally been a Java developer, although I play around with LISP.
>
> For most java developers, understanding dynamic typing is a big step.
> Your Lisp background however would mean that you will pick up Python
> very quickly.
>
> >> I recently migrated to Linux and I was exploring Mono as an
> option for development on Linux. However, I've had some problems with
> the maturity and support when working with Mono.
>
> IronPython (still a beta) BTW, runs on Mono as well and you can use
> Mono through Python when you deem it ready. There is also Jython, which
> runs on the Java platform if you feel married to Java platform or class
> libraries.
>
> >> Is Python actively developed and supported on Linux?
>
> Yes and very well so. Many Linux distributions come with Python
> pre-installed and Python has quite a bit of following in the Linux
> crowd. Red Hat / Fedora installer - Anaconda, for example uses Python.
>
> >> Would it be a viable option for cross-platform application development?
>
> Python is a very good candidate for open source development. But then
> again, most open source languages these days are. The culture is a bit
> different though. Although Python is byte code compiled just like Java,
> Python programmers are not averse to using native extensions (which in
> most cases can be compiled painlessly on all popular platforms thanks
> to Python's distutils). Java programmers on the other hand generally
> extol 'Pure Java'. Both approaches have their own advantages and
> disadvantages (Swing vs SWT) and you can use either with Python.
>
> >> Can anyone recommend an open source IDE for Python that runs on Linux?
>
> Most Python IDEs are open source along with a few commercial ones.
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments
> Everyone has their favorites and you should pick your own.
>
> Since you have a Java background, PyDev is probably the best choice for
> you. JEdit also has a Python plugin. I just use SciTE (just an editor)
> most of the time.

Ravi,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. It sounds like
Python may be the solution I am searching for. I took a look at lists
of the IDEs on the wiki. Looks like I might be sticking with the IDLE
editor for now. :] Perhaps I will have to write a simple IDE for Python
that integrates Glade and supports pyGTK when I have some more
programming experience...

Scott Huey