MS VC++ Toolkit 2003, where?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 22:30:01 EDT 2006

Edward Elliott <nobody at 127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Alex Martelli wrote:
> > the Windows version, despite the slight
> > overhead of running under Parallels' virtualization, is an impressive
> > 12%+ _faster_ than the "native" MacOSX Python 2.4.3 (I'm not quite sure
> > about how good Parallels' virtualization IS, but even if it's as
> > impressive as a mere 3% overhead, this still means that the Windows
> > version of Python on identical HW must be at least 15% faster than the
> > MacOSX version, compiled with gcc).
>
> Can you post the complete benchmark results from both systems on the
> Macbook?  My understanding is that virtualization overhead is not a

OK, I've placed on http://www.aleax.it/Python/ the files that pybench
writes (with the -file option) for each machines, the names are
onmbp.txt and onwin2k.txt -- just 20k each (I'm not sure their format is
documented, but I guess that, worst case, one just needs to study
pybench's sources).

> builder knew about, etc.  I think Apple switched to the Intel compiler for
> x86 macs, was python built with that or with gcc?

The compiler Apple distributes freely is still gcc -- the intel compiler
(rumored to have better optimization) costs hundreds of dollars, so
Apple couldn't possibly distribute it for free with XCode.

> In short, your results are interesting but I'm not sure what to make of
> them yet.

Consider me available if you need some other tests and don't have other
easy access to OSX and Windows running on the same HW.

Alex