Python and STL efficiency

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Aug 23 13:01:32 EDT 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:
> >> Yes it is. But of course you can't sat that "Python is faster than
> >> C++".
>
>     Harald> Of course not. Python is faster then assembler. Proofed @
>     Harald> EuroPython 2006 in CERN, near the LHC Beta, in the same room
>     Harald> many Nobel laurates gave their presentations before.
>
> Harald, do you have a reference to a talk abstract or a paper?

Via the lightning talks page:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/EuroPy2006LightningTalks

Here's a direct link:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/EuroPy2006LightningTalks?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=%3AFasterThenAssemblerLightning.odp

Of course, Harald's interpretation of the "faster than" qualification
is broader than a pure assessment of raw performance, so I wouldn't
expect too many technical revelations. And while footage exists of at
least one talk in the CERN Auditorium which led to a Nobel prize, I
don't think that any footage of the EuroPython lightning talks (or of
any of the other talks) has been released just yet.

Paul