[Q] About an Installer Script for PyWin

Mr. Roboto mr.roboto.ny at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 14:20:55 EDT 2006

I need PyWin under the covers, that is, to install it as part of an
application, but in such a way that it isn't visible to users.  I'm
concerned about a so-called "power-user", seeing the Python directory
and/or the corresponding entry in the 'Add/Remove Programs' list,
breaking my app by uninstalling what he/she thinks is removing an
'unnecessary program.'

Unfortunately, I don't see any installer scripts, like for Inno Setup
or NSIS in the source archive I just downloaded from SourceForge.
I'd love to volunteer to do something like this for the larger
community of Pythonista, but I can't find any info (via Google) about
this.  AFAIK, the critical info is related to the registry settings
for the Win32-related elements.  I'm especially concerned about
installation of the COM infrastructure, as getting the other registry
settings is mostly tedious (but doable), trial-and-error exports from
the Registry.  The rest "should" be simply a matter of creating the
primary directory structure and copying the archive files to it.

Does anyone have pointers ?  TIA....