distutils setup.py

Saketh saketh.bhamidipati at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 16:25:57 EDT 2006

I'm having trouble getting the data_files argument of my setup.py to
work with "python setup.py sdist" under Windows XP. Here is the
data_files argument that I pass to setup().

        data_files = [\
            ('res','app.ico'),
            ('', 'preferences.xml'),
            ('res', glob.glob(os.path.join('res','*.png')))],
        )

My setup.py is in the same directory as "preferences.xml". I use this
setup.py for both py2exe and sdist. When I use it for py2exe, the
data_files are properly copied to the target directory. However, when I
use it for sdist, none of the data_files are copied. If this were a
directory problem, then setup.py would have failed earlier when I
specified Application.py in the "scripts" argument.

How can I get the data_files copied properly without having to manually
edit the MANIFEST file?

Thanks,
Saketh