Reinstalling Python Problem (Newbie)

Avell Diroll avelldiroll at yahoo.fr
Wed Aug 2 04:24:57 EDT 2006

beno wrote:
> I intend to do that. However, I think this is the RIGHT list to ask
> questions pertinent to python...

I didn't intend to be abrupt, ... I was just in an hurry, sorry for
that. Anyway I still see this problem more as a program not compiling
correctly on Freebsd than python not compiling correctly on a platform
... everybody has his own point of view :-)

Anyway I don't have any freebsd box around any more, so there is no way
for me to reproduce your problem (hence my remark about the place to post).

Another thing, if you just want to use zope, it seems to be included in
freebsd ports ... so you should not need to compile anything to _run_
zope on your system, but maybe you need specific options not included in
the ports (this is only fully supported on freebsd-stable and
freebsd-current which are AFAIK respectively 6.1 and 7.).
Ref.:
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/zope.html
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/lang.html#python-2.4.3

Zope is not supported in 5.5 anymore but it is present in the ports archive.
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/5.5-RELEASE/ports/

To get back to your specific problem :

> 2 tests failed:
>    test_mimetools test_urllib2
> 48 tests skipped:
>    test_aepack test_al test_applesingle test_asynchat test_bsddb
>    test_bsddb3 test_cd test_cl test_codecmaps_cn test_codecmaps_hk
>    test_codecmaps_jp test_codecmaps_kr test_codecmaps_tw test_curses
>    test_doctest test_fork1 test_gdbm test_gl test_imgfile test_imp
>    test_linuxaudiodev test_logging test_macfs test_macostools
>    test_nis test_normalization test_ossaudiodev test_pep277
>    test_plistlib test_queue test_scriptpackages test_socket
>    test_socket_ssl test_socketserver test_sunaudiodev test_tcl
>    test_thread test_threaded_import test_threadedtempfile
>    test_threading test_threading_local test_threadsignals
>    test_timeout test_unicode_file test_urllib2net test_urllibnet
>    test_winreg test_winsound
> 13 skips unexpected on freebsd5:
>    test_threadedtempfile test_imp test_threaded_import test_fork1
>    test_threading test_threadsignals test_socket test_thread
>    test_queue test_asynchat test_doctest test_threading_local
>    test_logging
> *** Error code 1
>
> What do I do about the problems with mimetools and urllib2?

This is the last report of the 'make test' command and there should be a
few lines before that stating each test one by one and printing problems
has they appear, and sometime pointing at a possible source for the
specific problem. Have you got such a report for test_urllib2 ?

> What is meant by pointing to this folder thus (as the installation
> instructions instruct):
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/python

The autotools (configure/make/make install) default installation
directory is /usr/local by using the prefix option, you are indicating
that you want to install all the python files in /usr/python when you
will execute the command 'make install' (instead of /usr/local). I don't
know which installation instructions you are following, but FWIK this is
not  a standard place for python to be installed (although it is
recommended in the README for the AtheOS platform ...).

> BTW, the modpython site is down!

It was up when I sent my first mail, and it is up as I send this one.
http://www.modpython.org/

> TIA,
> beno

As I stated before I don't have any freebsd box to play with ...
HTH

Regards

Avell